Over the past few months, on the last saturday, I've been going to the Marie Atkins Center to help feed the citizens living there. At first, the whole thing was really awkward, considering I was around a group of people three times my own age, and with permanent injury, be it mental, emotional, or physical. Like this one woman there, while working in Florida, had her house burn down with her husband and kids in it, and fell into extreme depression. Or like another guy, who got set on fire by some children, and has his left side permanently burnt. But, after going there a few times, it got less and less awkward, and I started feeling comfortable talking with the people living there, and handing out the food, drinks, and whatever treats that we had. Also, its pretty difficult, because people will try to get extra food, or drinks, by moving from where they sit, to somewhere else. All in all, its a pretty rewarding experience, and I feel as if I am more grateful to the things that I have, and more willing to help those in need.
Peter
No comments:
Post a Comment