Today, we went out to the Palisadas strip, to help clean up the beach. Like last year, I was assigned as a group leader, but this year my group consisted of five boys who I've never met before. At first, there was a bit of confusion in the group, but we started getting along, getting more work done than we had thought we were going to get done. This was because we were one of the last groups to set out, but my team was thorough, going through everywhere, examining everything. We actually got the "prize" garbage, taking in a giant mass of ropes, and binders. While two of the group members went back to headquarters with the mass, the rest of us kept scouring the beach before returning, feeling proud of what we've done.
This while activity showed us just how much our actions can impact a beach, a place of recreation, and a habitat for animals. When we walked along, it really wasn't somewhere where I would want to spend a Sunday afternoon, much less live, with all the trash scattered around. Not to mention it really showed me how important teamwork is, because I know that one person alone wouldn't have been able to carry the mass of ropes. In addition to this, it showed us just how important perseverance is, because we could have just turned back, and given up on trying to clean the beach.
Peter
Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel
No comments:
Post a Comment